Saturday, January 24, 2009

Final Thoughts on the 2009 Presidential Inauguration...---WILLIAM HOSTON

In sum, the travel to Washington, D.C. to the 2009 Presidential Inauguration was a great experience. It was the trip of a lifetime, one that I will be able to tell my children and grandchildren about. The unity, cohesion, and assembly of people gathered at this event exhibited progress for our country as we witnessed the inauguration of the first black president, Barack Obama.

On another note, the fight and struggle for economic, social, and political equality is not over. This event does NOT give African-Americans (and whites) the liberty to say the dream of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King has been fulfilled. Dr. King's dream was much greater than that. Remember the dream speech was not about a dream at all, but about the economic plight for African-Americans. The "dream" portion was a eloquent closing.

This event does NOT give African-Americans the liberty to say that the Civil Rights Movement is over. The Civil Rights Movement was much greater than that. Remember the Brown v. Board of Education (1954) was an important part of the Civil Rights Movement and African-American children are still disproportionately failing in the education system.

I am a tremendous supporter of Barack Obama. However, his "hope" and "change" rhetoric does not speak to me. I want to see action (and I will give him the latitude for that at least 2 years but it will take 8). Obama supporters can be critical and/or provide criticism of him. We owe him that much. See, criticism does not always have to be negative, but rather, it can be positive and constructive.

On January 20, 2009, I cried tears of joy like the rest of the world. My tears were not only for me but also for my grandparents, parents, god-parents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins, nephews, nieces, and my beloved friends, 504, 404, and 229. I made sure that I went because someone had to represent for the group. To these people, "I love you."

1 comment:

Dean Bonner said...

That is what it is about!!

Much love Brother!