Monday, April 6, 2009

A Letter to Dr. King---WILLIAM HOSTON

Dear Dr. King,

Greetings, this is William Hoston. On the eve of the date of your death (April 4th), I began thinking about the why's and how's of your life. Why did you choose to participate in the Montgomery Bus Boycott and how did you decide to carry the quest for civil rights? I know the external answers, but I don't know the internal answers. I conceded to the fact that God chose you. Then I asked, why would God choose you for such a short period of time, and why wouldn't God allow you to see the fruits of your labor (i.e., the election of President Obama). I was reminded of one of your quotes, "Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle (even death)."

We miss you...

Respectfully,
Dr. Hoston

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chosen not seeing the fruits of their labor is not uncommon or new. Remember, Moses never made it to Israel although he was chosen to free his people. This biblical story is also the inspiration for Dr. King's "I've been to the mountaintop speech, as Moses was allowed to look down at Israel but not enter it.
May God bless you always.