Saturday, December 20, 2008

Why RICK WARREN???: Analysis of Dr. Melissa Harris-Lacewell

Rick Warren is a bigot. He is prepared to use the power of the American government to strip American citizens of basic civil rights and human dignities. His advocacy of Proposition 8 reflects a clear, appalling, and aggressive attack on gay men and lesbians. As a person of faith and as a citizen in a representative democracy I am utterly disgusted by Obama's choice of Rick Warren for the inauguration. Obama has chosen a man who willfully deploys the Bible as a weapon against those with whom he disagrees. He opposes women's right to reproductive choice and same-sex couples right to marital choice. By bowing his head under Warren's words, Obama is tacitly consenting to this distressing religious and political world view.

My assessment of Warren does not mean I think he should be silenced, which is how many on the Right treated Reverend Jeremiah Wright. I believe Rick Warren has a right to speak publicly and to shepherd his own church and followers as he sees fit. I believe in religious diversity and religious dissent. I believe in these things for both sacred and secular reasons.

I believe God is ineffable, unknowable, and universal, so no one person, church, or faith tradition has monopoly on understanding the divine. Our inter-religious dialogue is part of how we grapple with the Mystery. I welcome Rick Warren to sit at any table where people of various faiths and beliefs can exchange ideas. Active dissent in religious communities is part of a vibrant civil society that generates a healthy democracy.

My opposition to Warren is specific. I believe a man who opposed same-sex marriage with the vehemence and public organizing of Warren should not offer the prayer at the inauguration. The inauguration belongs to all Americans. It is a moment of national unity. It is a symbolic rendering of our peaceful, democratic transitions of leadership. It is an assertion of our collective identity rising above our partisan disagreements. It is not a time for division.

http://princetonprofs.blogspot.com/

Dr. Melissa Harris-Lacewell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This more than surprises me. Maybe Joel Osteen was a better candidate : ) However, on a completely different note-I am so happy I look at this blog occasionally rather than the lady's blog that this came off of. I was baffled by her "rich, white" comments on Caroline Kennedy. Is she mad because Caroline Kennedy will practically be inheriting a seat in the political world or because she is white?! I couldn't tell...

Anonymous said...

Spirituality and politico do not mix; one exists because the other cannot be perfected within flesh. Therefore, I am not disappointed by Obama's decision. Rather, I am impressed by his ability to choose a man of the spirit. Look, no two people under the sun completely agree on everything. Perhaps he chose the man best suited in spirituality, not political rhetoric, for his inauguration because that is the particular position he is filling. How can you call Rick Warren a bigot when it is the bible he represents, not politically correct views? And for the record, I oppose same sex marriages and abortion (even though I’m a woman) and I STILL voted for Obama because he is a political leader, not a spiritual leader, and I agree with most of his politics. Does that make me a bigot too?